Sunday 20 September 2015

Changing the communication between whanau and school

So I'm on a role with all these ideas coming into my head about what I could post about next and funnily enough its an event at school that brings this post to the forefront on mind. Communication between home and school is always such a big thing. We talk about keep the lines of communication open with our parents so that we have that support for the student in their learning and behaviour. Its not the standard meet the parent evenings at the beginning of the year or three way conferences/parent interviews that I'm looking at its those times in between. When that student in your class has done something well, hasn't been themselves, or the parents have have contacted you worried about their behaviour or learning. When I was as school I guess in a way I was lucky, my Mum worked their so I'm guessing that my teachers would grab her for a chat about me.  (although I probably should check that one, I remember being a star pupil, however it could have been my imagination :P ) But students who's parents weren't easily accessed (from what I can remember) were called up on the phone at night, or asked to come in for a parent meeting. As time has progressed and I've become a teacher myself I've had these same techniques I'd guess you'd call them passed to me.

I have worked in schools where the expectation of contact between school and home is through phone calls and parent meetings. Now don't get me wrong this great and its still the tried and true way of contacting my parents, however it  But this is where my issue comes to play... I am part of the "Y" generation. The generation who has grown up with more and more technology. So this is where my my questioning starts. This idea of not giving out my cellphone number to parents, not giving out my email for them to contact me, does this justification come from a generation where parents were home more so had more time to contact the school and teachers, where often one parent didn't work so that support and time for the student was more readily available? These days when both parents are often working long hours, even often shift work, is it better to be able to use the technology we have to keep the lines of communication open and make it easier for parents and Whanau to keep in touch rather than restrict them?

Research backs the idea that the more home/school communication that occurs;
"results in schools:
  • Improved test scores
  • Improved grades
  • More positive student attitudes
  • Fewer special education referrals
  • Lower dropout rates
  • Less high risk behavior
  • Higher staff morale
  • Enhanced relationships between school and community
  • Increased parental support for school's initiatives and programs
  • Increased donations of goods, materials and services to the school
  • Improved parental opinion of and regard for the school" (Rick Lavoie, date unknown)
 So my question is... Do we need to change the way around how we are communicating with our students family members? Is the old way of calling parents on the phone or simply seeing them at parent meetings enough anymore? In an age where both parents work in most families and time is precious are we restricting the lines of communication between us and them by not allowing emailing and texting? Or are we making ourselves too readily open to 24/7 communication by giving out those personal details?
During my flurry of research into this I found a really good article which had a lot of intereseting points, particularly about the benefits for students and how it creates more parental involvement.

School/home communication: using technology to enhance parental involvement

Something to think about........

No comments:

Post a Comment